The center was established in 1998, focusing on: 1) germplasm evaluation, improvement and breeding on some ornamental plants including landscape trees, flowers, turfgrass, ornamental grasses and ground cover; 2) germplasm research and breeding on some economic plants, such as stevia, forage grass and energy plants, for the needs of the urban landscape, ecological and environmental construction in Jiangsu Province and East China.
Currently there are 14 professional researchers, including 3 professors, 2 associate professors and 1 senior technician. So far, the center has undertaken more than 60 completed and research projects related to ornamental and economic plants home and abroad, and published more than 220 papers. Meanwhile, 1 first prize and 2 third prizes of Jiangsu Provincial Science and Technology Awards have been gained. Two new varieties were approved by National Approval Committee and 33 identified varieties have been obtained. 2 patents were awarded by the National Patent Bureau.
Director: Li Ya, Tel: 025－84347050
Deputy director: Huang Suzhen, Tel: 025－84347049
1. Research of the collection, evaluation and diversity of ornamental plants;
2. Evaluation on the stress tolerance (cold, drought, salt, disease, heavy metals, etc.) of ornamental plants and research on the molecular markers related to some important characters of ornamental plants;
3. Construction of genetic linkage map and mapping QTL for some important ornamental plants;
4. Improvement of germplasm resources and new varieties breeding on ornamental, economic and energy plants;
5. Regional and demonstration test for some ornamental and economic plants;
6. Research on the physiology, propagation and cultivation technique of ornamental, economic and energy plants;
7. Study on the biology of external invasive plants;
8. Study on the ex-situ conservation and protection mode of rare and endangered plants;
9. Phytoremediation on environment.
(1) The research on the classification, evolution and genetic diversity of Poaceae was awarded the first prize of “Jiangsu Scientific and Technological Progress” in 2008.
(2) The research and application on the warm season turfgrass in China was awarded the third prize of “Jiangsu Provincial Science and Technology Awards” in 2005.
(3) The research and application on the selection and propagation technology of excellent stevia varieties was awarded the third prize of “Jiangsu Provincial Science and Technology Awards” in 2002.
(4) The selection and population of ‘Yangjiang Gouyagen’, a Bermudagrass variety approved by National Approval Committee won the prize of Scientific and Technical Achievements for the Seventh National Flower Show in China.
(5) The selection and population of Chinese cynodon varieties won the second prize of Scientific and Technical Achievements for the Fourth National Flower Show in China.
2. Improved Varieties
(1) Bermudagrass variety “Nanjing Gouyagen” was approved in 2001 by the Ministry of Agriculture Approval Committee of Grass Variety, No.231.
(2) Bermudagrass variety “Yangjiang Gouyagen” was approved in 2007 by the Ministry of Agriculture Approval Committee of Grass Variety, No.353.
3. Identified Varieties
(1) Fifteen flower varieties passed the examination of Jiangsu province and were published:Shuijingqiu, ziyun, caidai, zijin, zipan, honglang, jinwuwa, jinyangguang, zijinguifu, zijinhongyan, zixiafeiyan, zijinfurong, zixiaxingchen, zixiafendai and zijinhonglang
(2) Three economic crop varieties of Stevia rebaudiana passed the examination of Jiangsu province: ‘Zhongshan, No. 2’, stevia variety ‘Zhongshan, No. 3’, stevia variety ‘Zhongshan, No.4’Fifteen turfgrass varieties passed the examination of Jiangsu province.
4. Authorized Patents
(1) The name of patent: callus induction with the axillary bud and regeneration of centipedegrass, the patent number is CN10119459513;
(2) The name of patent: Technology of simple cutting propagation of stevia, the patent number is: 2006100413456.
5. Personnel training
There are 2 Ph.D. advisors and 4 master tutors in the centre. 7 Ph.D. and 35 Masters have been graduated since 1998 and more than 3 doctorate candidates and 10 postgraduates are in the center.